Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Why We Need Equalism

From Who Needs Feminism:

I need feminism because people are still being fooled by the “the doctor is a woman” riddle.
(Q: A man and his son are in a car accident. The man dies at the scene. The boy is taken directly to the hospital and into surgery. The surgeon looks down at him and says, “I can’t operate on this boy, he’s my son.” How is this possible? A: The surgeon is a woman.)
Ask somebody. 3 out of 5 people will be stumped.


Here's my take on this question.

I remember that on a MENSA test. I couldn’t believe it was an intelligence test question. I couldn’t believe the question “How is this possible?” My response to that was, “What’s stopping his mom from operating on him? Wouldn’t she want to have direct input into his survival rather than trust someone else?”

I had ZERO idea at the time that the actual question was “could you recognize that the surgeon was a woman?” I hadn’t been indoctrinated yet (and still haven’t been), so I saw (and still see) female doctors as logical, unremarkable, downright ordinary. I didn’t need feminism because I already had it, or so I believe. I never thought of women as anything but equals.

But nowadays things have changed even more. What if the son’s father was in a gay marriage? You cannot assume anymore that the answer is “the doctor is his mother”. The doctor is the deceased man’s spouse: which could be a husband or wife. And this is why we not only need feminism, but also, equalism.

Think outside the box.

No comments:

Post a Comment